Monday, October 25, 2010

Farms! Wahoo!

What up kids?
So, life is crazy. I can't believe how fast time goes, in seven weeks I will be flying back to Bozeman for big Christmas trees and snowy walks. It seems like another world to me as I write in my room, the rain pouring down and the patio outside reflecting thousands upon thousands of city lights. I hope I will get to see most of you when I am back, it is going to be fast and fun!
Anyways, to updating you on my life. WELL. I spent the last week on an organic finca (farm) planting seeds, making garden beds, and cleaning, than rubbing decomposed cow shit on trees. Among other things. Roderick Sell and his wife own this finca and they are the kindest, most inspirational people I have ever met. They took me and three other GC students in to their family for the week, and oh man was the food good! Roderick know so much about farming and is willing to share it all with you as long as you are willing to listen and maybe use a machete for a few hours. I learned how to make compost, what times of day as well as what times of year are good to plant, how to naturally protect from insects, and so much more. We would get up around six everyday and work until eight when we would go into the house for some amazing gallo pinto, (Costa Rican rice an beans dish) fruit, and eggs. Than we would go out and work until around one, and by that time we were very tired and hungry. We would wander back into the house for an amazing lunch, mostly all their food they grow or get from other local organic farmers, and so it is all really healthy and good quality. We didn't eat any meat which I actually sort of liked! Crazy right?
After lunch was the best part of the day, siesta time! We would sleep for at least two hours and than wrap up the workday with a few more hours of work. Dinner was always small, unlike the huge (but well needed) breakfasts and lunches because we didn't need a ton of energy to sleep. We would pass out after dinner, I think one night we may have made it until ten. So in short, the farm turned me into a hard-working vegetarian morning person who has a strangely strong love for compost for the week. I totally loved it.
It inspired me so much because this grass roots organic farming idea affects everything that I am interested in, and I didn't think such a thing existed. Organic farming is a political statement, a social statement, environmental statement, a spiritual exploration with a strong connection to nature, an art form, physically challenging, promotes strong local communities and it is FUN! I mean, how could it get any better than that? I am so excited about this! Oh and check out this link, I want you all to watch this movie. It is the first documentary I have ever seen that has left me more hopeful than when I started the film. It amazes me how we believe we are all so powerless in the world's problems when in fact, we have all of the power. The consumers have power over the producers and the cultivators have power over the middlemen and corporations. Instead of more laws and regulations being made upon the massive food industries (which our government has a monetary dependence on so you have to question how strict those regulations are) and small scale protests by specific groups, we need a simple grass roots movement. We as consumers have the ability to only buy local and organic, start cultivating some of our own food, and make educated communities. And the amazing thing is that it is already starting. It isn't hopeless or imposable for a single person to have a huge affect on the world by paying an extra buck for a organic tomato, or even growing their own. If you knew all the stuff they put in GMO tomatoes, you probably wouldn't want to eat them anyways.
So, that is the end of my little rant on that, go and plant some trees or something! But before you run out to get a pack of non-genetically modified seeds, I want to let you know what is up next in my life. I am going to be in school working lots and lots for the next two weeks. Than I am gone for two whole weeks, my class is going through Costa Rica and Panama to study. Then I will be back in school, finishing my major projects and getting my portfolio ready. So, I will blog for sure before I go to Panama, hopefully next week. We shall see how stressed I am. Until than, thanks for all the support and I hope you are all happy and healthy!
much love!
Greta

tweet: Got back on Friday from service learning. I love and am inspired by organic farming! Lets save the world now guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment