Monday, May 7, 2012

For The Next Seven Generations

During the Bushcamp I participated in in Australia I was lucky enough to learn many things- one of these things was the importance and law of the elders. Roy, a man who helped run bushcamp explained to me that "the women are law" This statement came to life later in the week as we got a chance to meet with the Aunties and talk with them.

The importance of elders and children in our current, Western, modern society is minimal and this is a tragedy. As one author suggested we are in a constant state of adolescents, rebelling against the old, traditional, and authoritative. Now this rebellion is complex and, I'd be the first to admit, in some cases totally justified. Nevertheless we seem to be leaving the words of our elders and the futures of our children (and of ourselves) to the dogs so we can "grow" and "progress." Life isn't a uphill battle, though, and whoever thinks it is must be pretty tiered by the time he or she hits forty.

Check out this movie, hopefully there are some places that have it in Bozeman so I can watch it too! It's about Indigenous grandmothers from all over the world who have come together. I love the title, For The Next 7 Generations. It reminds me of something another man at bushcamp, Anthony, told me- "We live making sure that seven generations from now people will be able to live well." You think we could handle what, 30 years in advance?

Anyways, here's the trailer. SO excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment