Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Apples in China

Hey everyone, hope you have missed me!
One would think I would get internet access in Australia if I did in Thailand but it is proving to be more tricky than I thought. I am figuring it out though and settling into my new place. I was looking over some emails and was reminded of something I encoutered in Taiwan- the dirty work of Apple.


Apple, the company we know and I at least heavily use manufactures their iphones, ipads, and computer parts using a corporation called Foxconn. Foxconn has been brought up on multiple human rights violations including child labor, unfair pay, and unsafe hours and working conditions. This reminded me of Taiwan because when I was there I stumbled on an activist who was interviewed by Aljazeera last September. She went to the factories, got petitions signed, went to CA to meet with Apple and hit a brick wall. I suggest you watch the whole thing here, it's a bit long but very informative. She is great too, so determined and hard working! Oh, here is a quote from a global post article too:

The chemical n-hexane used in the Taiwanese-owned Wintek factory caused dozens to faint, fall ill and complain of headaches and other mild symptoms. But many workers were hit harder, suffering nerve damage in their hands and feet from exposure to the chemical, the use of which is regulated in China. The lasting impact of their exposure to the toxin remains unknown, and Apple has repeatedly ignored requests for comment on the situation. They did mention the case in their 2010 corporate supplier report, but said the matter had been solved.

Interestingly this article is about how much China misses Steve Jobs. You can check that out here. 


I think this is something important to think about in a time when we are (finally) slowly realizing that we vote with our dollar. I am torn, I am even writing this on an apple product, but I think it is really important that we look carefully at where our products come from. If you watch the film and do a little of your own research and feel like this isn't okay (as I do) than you can sign this nice little petition here.

Alright, I'm off to bed, farmers market and class in the morning. LOCAL consumption will be at a max at about 8 am tomorrow- leafy greens here I come!

- g

No comments:

Post a Comment