Friday, December 23, 2011

comfort objects: books

I love the anticipation of turning the page
how the right finger slips under the corner ready for you to finish your paragraph
I love a used book because whoever held it before also flipped that page
and maybe they thought about it too much too
I love a new book because the spine hasn't been cracked yet
and your fingers feel dirty in the best way possible
corrupting the fresh white words
I love bookstores because each unknown title is a possibility for inspiration
a sculptor of the now
a friend in paperback camouflage

I love the feeling you get after reading so intently
the slow realization that your own reality has stood by, also waiting with baited breath
to know the secret ending

Basically, I love books. I love reading for school but I really love reading for no reason.
mhhhm. books. I am currently reading You Shall Know Our Velocity and it's grand. I both desperately want and don't want to be friends with these two crazy fictional men as they try to travel the whole world in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment